What Are Dental Fillings Replacement Procedures?
Dental fillings are placed on teeth to stop the spread of dental decay or restore a tooth that is damaged. Although they do an excellent job, fillings are not permanent. The filling is vulnerable to wear and tear like natural teeth. They may become worn down or damaged.
The dental filling replacement procedure involves removing an existing filling and replacing it with a new one. The new filling may be of a different material from the current one. Replacing dental fillings in Roanoke, VA, depends on the condition of the structure of the remaining tooth. If a significant part of the tooth is damaged, the dentist will choose other dental restoration options.
Do I Need My Filling Replaced?
Some signs that you need a new filling by the dentist in 24018 include:
- Once you notice a gap where the filling used to be, it means the filling has come out, and you need a new one. Your filling may have come out when chewing sticky food or after dental trauma.
- When you experience tooth sensitivity or pain in the location of a filled tooth, it means the filling is damaged. The exposed tooth nerves cause sensitivity and pain.
- As soon as your fillings surpass the estimated time recommended by your dentist, they will replace them. Dental fillings last for 5-12 years, depending on the filling material used. When this time surpasses, replace the filling to continue protecting your tooth.
- When you notice cracks or openings in your filling, you must replace them. These cracks may become more extensive and damage the tooth further.
- When your filling turns from its natural color or causes the part of the tooth attached to it to change in color, have it replaced.
- During a dental trauma, the filling may become loose, cracked, or even get lost. The emergency pediatric dentist in Roanoke will examine the tooth with a unique dental tool to identify any weak spots in the filling. The dentist may take dental X-rays to determine the extent of the damage to the tooth and the filling.
Why Replace a Damaged or Lost Filling?
Below are some reasons you may have your kid’s filling replaced at the pediatric dental office in Roanoke.
- To prevent bacteria from entering into teeth and causing further dental decay. If the filling is not replaced, the tooth may eventually require a root canal or extraction.
- Your dentist may replace a filling to treat tooth sensitivity and pain. A damaged or missing filling exposes the tooth nerves and roots. it causes pain and tooth sensitivity when taking cold, hot, or sugary foods and beverages.
- To whiten your smile once the filled tooth starts to change its natural color. The filling may begin to darken or turn yellow therefore affecting your smile.
- To prevent the tooth around the filling from breaking away due to stress from the filling over time.
Does It Hurt to Have a Child’s Filling Replaced?
No, having your filling replaced by the will not hurt. At the Pediatric dental office in Roanoke, a local anesthetic is used to ensure a child does not feel any pain during the procedure. The child will be calm and comfortable as the old filling is removed and replaced with a new one. After the procedure, they may experience some minor discomfort which ceases after a few days.
How Long Does a Replacement Filling Take?
The procedure for replacing a filling is only slightly different from the procedure carried out when placing a filling on your tooth. The amount of time taken for removing and replacing dental fillings in Roanoke, VA, depends on:
- The location of the tooth
- Size of the filling
- The filling used for replacement
- How comfortable the child is with dental procedures
Ask the dentist in 24018 for an estimate of the time your filling replacement procedure will take.
If you want a new filling placed on your child’s teeth or an existing filling replaced, contact us at Kids First Dental. Our pediatric dentist, Dr. Cristelle Rodriguez, works with her team to provide excellent oral care to children. Other than dental fillings, we improve your kid’s smile and oral health through various treatments and services.